Planning for the FutureOn July 1, 2005, the city transitioned from a it's contracted service with Rural/Metro Corporation to a municipal fire department. Shortly after that historic day and under the fire chief's leadership, a goal of responding to emergencies within four minutes, 80 percent of the time was set.
A committee was formed to gather information about emergency response times and how they were related to fire station locations in the city. The committee developed a number of recommendations designed to improve service to the citizens of Scottsdale and presented these findings to City Council in October 2006.
The following is a list of current and proposed fire station projects that will help meet our department mission of reducing property damage and saving lives:
- Relocate Fire Station 1 to the vicinity of Miller and McDowell Roads to improve response times in south Scottsdale and allow for growth with the construction of the ASU Sky Song Project at Scottsdale and McDowell Roads.
- Status: Completed October 2011
- Build Fire Station 2 at Indian School and Miller Roads to provide relief for high call volume at Fire Station 601 and allows for faster response times in the revitalization area of downtown Scottsdale.
- Status: Completed June 2008
- Fire Station 2 Information & Photos
- Evaluate relocation of Fire Station 3 (currently near McDonald Drive and Scottsdale Road) to the vicinity of McDonald Drive and Hayden Road. This would move the fire station to a more central location in the City and provide improved coverage in the area.
- Evaluate relocation of Fire Station 4 (currently near 90th Street and Via Linda) that allows for housing of appropriate apparatus and fire equipment, incorporates required and necessary functions into the station, and provides coverage for underserved areas.
- Build Fire Station 8 on the northwest corner of Cactus Road and 96th Street to reduce response times and provide coverage for underserved areas and new and developing neighborhoods.
- Status: Completed September 2011
- Build a permanent Fire Station 13 centrally located within the station's response area to reduce response times and provide coverage for underserved areas and new and developing neighborhoods.
- Status: Evaluating potential sites
- Site Selection Criteria (pdf/39 kb/1 pg)
- Project Information
- Build a permanent facility for Fire Station 16 closer to Cave Creek Road to reduce response times and develop a fire station that supports operational requirements.
- Status: Land purchased
- Frequently Asked Questions about Fire Station 16
- Evaluate sites for a future fire station in the vicinity of Loop 101 and Hayden Road to provide coverage for high-density, mixed-use construction planned in the area.
The Scottsdale Fire Department is committed to improving our performance and increasing community satisfaction in the service we provide.
If you have questions or comments about this proposal, please e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (480) 312-FIRE.