Scottsdale's General Plan
Where is the full policy located?
- Scottsdale General Plan 2001
- The General Plan may be viewed at the Planning and Design Library at the Community Design Studio, 7506 E Indian School Road.
- Copies are available at the city libraries.
What is it?
City of Scottsdale General Plan 2001 is the policy guide for future development. It serves as a "blueprint" for how the city will develop and change in the future.
Where does it apply?
Who needs to use it?
City Council, Planning Commission, City development review/development process staff, Developers, Citizens
Why was it developed?
The City is required by State Law and City Charter to have a General Plan. Scottsdale already had one that had been updated at different times and not recently - Growing Smarter legislation in 1998 and 2000 required all communities to update their GPs, added required elements, and set a deadline for completion of the update (December 2001).
- Elements include: Character and Design, Community Involvement, Public Services & Facilities, Housing, Neighborhoods, Cost of Development, Growth Areas, Preservation and Environmental Planning, Open Space and Recreation, Land Use, Economic Vitality, Community Mobility, etc.
- Generalized land use categories on the Conceptual Land Uses map creates distinction between the General Plan and Zoning.
- GP is organized based on the Shared Vision, CityShape 2020, and City Council Goals.
- Focus is on more than physical development or land use - includes human services, character, and quality of life issues.
- Emphasis on character and design throughout.
- The document references other policies that apply to specific goals or strategies.
- Cross references other policy statements in the GP to make the plan more comprehensive.
- Reference Guide with maps and Glossary help make it more understandable.
- Major General Plan Amendment criteria are included in the General Plan as established by the City Council.
- Available in book, CD, and Land Use Summary map formats.
References and related documents:
- Scottsdale Visioning - Shared Vision Report (1992)
- CityShape2020 Comprehensive Report (1996)
- Future in Focus Process Summary (2000)
- Area Plans
- Scottsdale Sensitive Design Principles (2000)
Download printable General Plan Policy Card (pdf / 751 kb / 1 pg)