Scottsdale’s special events season launches Sunday with marathon & Barrett-Jackson Classic Car Auction
Jan. 11, 2012
Contact: Mike Phillips, public affairs manager, (480) 312-7825
Special events season launches Sunday with
marathon & Barrett-Jackson Classic Car Auction
Classic cars and marathon stars combine to launch Scottsdale’s special events season this Sunday, Jan. 15.
The fun starts Sunday morning when new course layouts bring roughly 30,000 runners through downtown area streets as part of the P. F. Chang’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon and Half Marathon.
About the same time runners are making their way through Old Town Scottsdale, the Barrett-Jackson Classic Car Auction will be revving up for a week of action at Scottsdale’s WestWorld.
More information on these and other upcoming Scottsdale special events is highlighted below. There are a number of ways residents and visitors can keep track of these events – and the road restrictions and traffic that come with them. They include:
• The city of Scottsdale’s website at www.ScottsdaleAZ.gov. Use the “eNews,” “Traffic” and “Events” buttons to keep up with current events, special events and local traffic conditions.
• The city’s weekly traffic restrictions report is also available each Thursday via email. Subscribe at: https://eservices.scottsdaleaz.gov/listserve/
• Public safety Twitter feeds from the Scottsdale Police Department. These timely messages include breaking traffic news relating to Scottsdale special events. Sign up here: http://twitter.com/scottsdalepd.
Here’s a schedule and contact information for upcoming special events in Scottsdale:
P. F. Chang’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon and Half Marathon
Get ready to rock in Arizona and Scottsdale on Sunday, Jan. 15, as the P. F. Chang’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon and Half Marathon hit the streets with new routes. Restrictions and closures are planned on several major Scottsdale streets between 6:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. Races begin at 7:30 a.m. Streets will reopen on a rolling basis when the last participant has passed and all course support materials are removed. Restrictions for the marathon route should be lifted by 1 p.m. and for the half marathon by 11:30 a.m.
Residents and businesses located near the race course are encouraged to plan ahead and be aware of road closure schedules and alternate access routes. Please note that on race day – both prior to and during the race - traffic is not allowed to cross the race route, so plan accordingly.
Drivers are strongly encouraged to use the freeway system to maneuver around the routes. The major streets affected include:
• Indian School Road closed between 48th Street and Goldwater Boulevard
• Goldwater Boulevard closed between Indian School Road and Main Street
• First Avenue closed between Goldwater Boulevard and Marshall Way
• Marshall Way Closed between First Avenue and Main Street
• Hayden Road southbound closed between McKellips and McDowell roads
• McDowell Road eastbound closed between Scottsdale and Hayden roads
• Scottsdale Road northbound reduced to one lane between McDowell and Thomas roads
• Thomas Road westbound reduced to one lane between Scottsdale Road and 64th Street
• 64th Street southbound closed between Thomas and McDowell roads
For more event information, including map with route and road closures visit: http://www.competitor.com/community or call (800) 311-1255. For questions, please call (480) 518-5869.
During the closures for the race, the Downtown, Neighborhood and Miller Road trolleys will be detoured. For more information, visit http://scottsdaleaz.gov/trolley.
Barrett-Jackson Classic Car Auction
Hundreds of the world’s finest collector automobiles and thousands of spectators will assemble for this year’s Barrett-Jackson Classic Car Auction. The auction starts Sunday, Jan. 15, and continues through Jan. 22 at WestWorld, 16601 N. Pima Road. Gates open at 10 a.m. each day. Visit www.barrett-jackson.com or call (480) 421-6694 for more information.
Celebration of Fine Art
Watch art as it’s being created as more than 100 artists set up working studios at Celebration of Fine Art, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily starting Saturday, Jan. 14, through March 25. Housed in the big white tents southwest of Hayden Road and the Loop 101, Celebration presents a variety of art in all styles – from traditional to contemporary. For times and admission fees, call (480) 443-7695 or visit www.celebrateart.com.
Russo and Steele Automobile Auction Jan. 18-22.
If you’re into sport, muscle and street rod collector cars, we have just the place for you! Scottsdale hosts the annual Russo and Steele Automobile Auction from Jan. 18-22. The auction takes place near the intersection of the Loop 101 Freeway and Scottsdale Road. For registration, featured cars and additional event information, visit www.russoandsteele.com or call (602) 252-2697.
Taste of ArtWalk takes place Jan. 19
There will be a very special culinary ArtWalk from 7 to 9 p.m. Jan. 19 featuring special tastings and live entertainment. Stroll the streets and look at fine art while sampling some delightful and delicious fare. For more information visit www.ScottsdaleGalleries.com.
Waste Management Phoenix Open takes place Jan. 30-Feb. 5
The Waste Management Phoenix Open takes place Jan. 30 through Feb. 5 at the beautiful Tournament Players Club of Scottsdale, 17020 N. Hayden Road. Find out why this tournament boasts the largest galleries in golf and has earned the nickname “The Greatest Show on Grass.” Call (602) 870-0163 for details or visit http://wastemanagementphoenixopen.com.