For your Home Improvement project we have outlined work that does not require a permit and work that requires a minimum permit. All other work will require a formal plan submittal which is described under the Residential Development page.

Work that doesn’t require a permit:


  • Repairing or replacing:
    • Existing landscape irrigation piping.
    • Non-structural items such as glass in doors or windows, interior doors, hardware, kitchen cabinets, carpeting, flooring or trim work (not affecting a pool enclosure or garage).
    • Cabinets, counter tops and similar millwork.
    • Drywall, plasterboard, paneling or stucco.
    • Re-roofing when the same roofing material is used.
  • Interior painting

The following items do not require a permit but still requires the planning department approval to verify the proposed work meets code, design standards, and is not located in any setbacks or easements. Visit the planning counter in the One Stop Shop to discuss these proposals.

  • Installing low-voltage landscape accent lighting.
  • Adding hardscape, like patio slabs and driveways, within property boundaries.
  • Planting new trees, shrubs, or ground cover. Removing and relocating native plants will require a permit.
  • Building non-retaining walls that are three feet tall or less in height.
  • Building detached, non-habitable structures 200 square feet or less in floor area with no water, gas, sewer,or electrical connections.
  • Building masonry outdoor fireplaces; fire pits and barbeques.
  • Exterior painting in Environmentally Sensitive Lands and Historic Property zoning districts.

Work that requires a minimum permit

Minimum Permits cover construction that is basic, repetitive or minor in scope. Most often only one construction trade is involved. Minimum permits require the applicant to schedule a progress and final inspection by the city building inspections.

Online Minimum Permit Application

Examples of Minimum Permits:

  • Replacing plumbing fixtures in the same location only. (Plumbing Permit)
  • Connecting a landscape irrigation system to the water supply. (Plumbing Permit)
  • Replace water heater in same location only. (Water Heater Permit)
  • Demolishing or removing an in the ground pool/spa. (Demo Permit) This permit is not available online, please come to the one-stop shop.
  • Adding a new or altering an existing electrical circuit. (Electrical Permit)
  • Replace air conditioner/air handler in same location, like for like only. (Mechanical Permit)
  • Adding or replacing windows. (except for replacing the glass in an existing frame) This permit is not available online, please come to the one-stop shop.

Review your CC&R's

When you move into a neighborhood with Codes, Covenants and Regulations (CC&R's) you agree to comply with the regulations as adopted. CC&R's represent a civil contract between the property owner and the property owner's association and are legally binding on the participants. Violation of CC&R's can be penalized and fined as set out in the legal section of the regulations. It is the responsibility of the property owner, not the city, to be aware of any CC&R's as part of any proposed building modification or new construction. CC&R's are civil in nature and as such are not enforced by the City of Scottsdale; as an example, even in an area with public streets the city of Scottsdale will not enforce the parking restrictions from the Codes and Covenants.

The city does not maintain or monitor CC&R's.

Last Updated: Jun 30, 2024

Was this page helpful?
Tell us how we can be more helpful.

One Stop Shop

7447 E. Indian School Road Scottsdale, AZ 85251


Monday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Tuesday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Wednesday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Thursday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed
City Holiday Schedule *Additional Info: No transactions after 4 p.m.
Back to Top