All building applications require the completion of an application form and submission of required information. Submit the applications and plans together with the plan check fee to the One Stop Shop or online for plan review.

Building Permit Types

Before you begin your project, it's a good idea to become familiar with the different types of permits for your project. Outlined below are the types of permits along with those projects that need permits and those that do not.

Building Permit
Required for all construction work including additions, patio covers, carport enclosures, walls/fences, retaining walls, and accessory buildings (storage buildings 200 sq. ft or less only requires a site plan).
Electrical Permit
Required to install, alter, reconstruct or repair electrical wiring on any building, structure, swimming pool, or mechanical equipment.
Plumbing Permit
Required to install, alter, reconstruct, or repair any plumbing system, gas system, lawn sprinkler supply, water heater replacement.
Mechanical Permit
Required to install, alter, reconstruct or repair any furnace, refrigeration or other air conditioning equipment or system, except portable or window units.

Projects not requiring a permit:

While most home improvement projects require a permit (which helps ensure safety standards), there are some projects that do NOT require a residential permit:

Examples of projects not requiring a permit
  • Detached, non-habitable structures smaller than 200 square feet in floor area (a site plan is required for a planning review)
  • Patio slabs or sidewalks/drives (not over 30 inches above grade)
  • Walls, three feet or less (except retaining walls) site plan is required for a planning review
  • Low-voltage landscape accent lighting
  • Minor repairs or replacement of non-structural items such as glass, doors, hardware, kitchen cabinets, carpeting, flooring or trim work (not affecting a pool enclosure or garage)
  • Repair existing landscape irrigation piping
  • Paint (interior/exterior); repair drywall, plasterboard, paneling or stucco (insulated stucco systems require a permit)
  • Repair or replace existing plumbing fixtures in the same location
  • Re-shingle or retile a roof when the same material is used.
Subdivision covenants, conditions and restrictions (CC&Rs) may govern some of these items even though they are not regulated by the city. Check with your homeowners association before proceeding.

Minimum Permits

Except for gas piping, a plan review is not required for most single-family residential electrical, mechanical and plumbing work. These types of improvements are classified as "minimum" permits and can be obtained online with a credit card. The inspection process is used to ensure a correct installation per the building codes.

Apply for Minimum Permit

Examples of Minimum Permitted projects
  • Replace gas water heater
  • Replace water lines for single family residence
  • Repair broken water lines
  • Exterior appliance natural gas or propane gas line (BBQ, Pool Heater, Fire Pit/Fireplace, Torches, Gaslights, Patio Heater)
  • Repair natural gas or propane line
  • Existing natural gas line meter clearance
  • Replace pool pump
  • Plumbing for a water softener
  • Plumbing for hot water re-circulator
  • Sewer line repair
  • Service upgrade or change out (400 AMP max.)
  • Replace electric water heater
  • Relocate panel box
  • Connect a new irrigation system to your waterline
  • Raise electrical mast
  • Electrical re-wire
  • Residential load controller
  • Ceiling fan
  • Replace main breaker
  • Temporary power pole
  • Air conditioner change out

Minor remodels and/or additions

Moving walls, adding electrical and/or plumbing features will require a permit. If the area being changed is single story and less than 1000 sq. ft., download the Minor Addition / Remodel Submittal Packet.

Projects Requiring Building Permits

Building permits are necessary to safeguard health, property, safety, and welfare of citizens. Homeowners, contractors, or developers who build or undertake some structural improvements, repairs, or demolition must obtain a building permit. Permits are required for all construction work, ranging from a swimming pool or room addition by a homeowner to a major development site undertaking. Work completed without a permit will be fined an amount equal to double the permit fee.

Examples of Project Requiring Building Permits
  • Window Replacement
  • Spa installation
  • Swimming pools
  • Fences
  • Accessory buildings
  • Corrals
  • Patio covers
  • Patio/garage enclosures
  • Carports
  • Ramadas
  • Room additions
  • Guest homes
  • Solar heater installation
  • Rewiring of any electrical
  • Repair of residential/commercial sewer
  • Tenant improvements
  • Alteration of building exterior

Other Permit Types

Demolition Permit

Demolition permits are required for the demolition of any commercial and residential structures when the work proposed is not in conjunction with new construction. Demolition permits are not required for residential pools or for residential detached structures less than 200 sq ft.

To apply for a demolition permit, bring the completed demolition application and the supporting documents to the One Stop Shop permit services counter for review by a plans examiner. Upon approval a demolition permit will be issued.

For demolition in conjunction with new construction, include the area of demolition on the construction documents. The review of the proposed demolition will be concurrent with the review of the new construction. A separate demolition permit will not be necessary unless the demolition is requested to occur prior to final plan approval of the new construction.

For demolition not in conjunction with new construction, a pre-application meeting is necessary for review and approval of a post-demolition plan.

Right-of-Way Permits

Right-of-Way Permits are required for construction and certain other activities in the public right-of-way, and in some easements where the city has an interest, such as public utility easements. Work initiated without appropriate permits is illegal and subject to enforcement action and other ramifications. See Chapter 47 of the Scottsdale Revised Code and Chapter 5 of the Design Standards & Policies Manual for more information.

Haul Permits

Haul Permit required:
  • For hauls 1,000 cubic yards or more
  • For all capital project hauls that meet the above criteria
Haul Permit recommended:
  • For hauls less than 1,000 cubic yards on city streets, based on impacts as determined by the Building Official, Right-of-way Manager, or designee
  • For hauls with special impacts (i.e. school zones, special events, shopping areas, etc.)
  • For all capital project hauls that meet the above criteria
Instructions for obtaining a haul permit:
  1. Submit online application
  2. Upon approval, the One Stop Shop will process for permitting. For questions email [email protected].
Truck Route and Driver information
  1. Truck route details. See City Code Sec. 17-60 - Truck routes links to external site.
  2. Dust control related to hauls. See Maricopa Countylinks to external site and AZ Department of Environmental Quality websites for more information.
  3. A haul driver must have the approved route map in possession. Any deviation from the approved route is subject to approval. Failing to follow the approved route is subject to enforcement action. If your haul is only crossing through Scottsdale right of way, an approved route map is required. This can be attained by contacting Field Engineering.
Staff Contact:

Brian Dick, Field Engineering Supervisor
[email protected]

Dust Control Permits

An earthmoving permit is required on all jobsites that will disturb more than 1/10 acre of soil. (1/10th acre = 4,356 sq. ft.) This area of disturbance includes stockpiles, storage and equipment yards and the area actually being disturbed.

Permits are issued by Maricopa County.

AZ Dept Environmental Quality - Air Quality Division

602-506-6700 or 602-506-6727

Oversize/Overweight Permits and Regulations

When operating on city streets, all oversize/overweight loads require a permit from the state, and excessive oversize/overweight loads require an additional permit from the city.



Oversize/overweight loads are those that are bigger than the following (but smaller than the excessive oversize/overweight loads below):

  • 13.5’ High
  • 8.5’ Wide
  • 65’ Long
  • 123,500 lbs.

These loads require a state permit, but no additional city permit because these loads do not need special route planning or escorts.

Excessive Oversize/Overweight

Excessive oversize/overweight loads are those that are bigger than the following:

  • 16’ High
  • 14’ Wide
  • 95’ Long
  • 250,000 lbs.
  • Six axles

Excessive oversize/overweight loads require a state permit, and an additional city permit, because these loads typically need special route planning and escort vehicles. If a load has an origin or destination in, or route through, Scottsdale, a city permit is required to address safety and liability issues.

  • A state permit may not be required for an excessive oversize/overweight load if the load stays exclusively in Scottsdale and does not use the 101.
  • A city permit may not be required for an excessive oversize/overweight load if the load uses only the 101 as its route through Scottsdale.

Additional Information

  • Letters of Authorization are no longer required.
  • Any oversize or overweight load moved on city streets without a valid permit shall be parked clear of traffic until the requirements of this article are met and a permit is issued.
  • It is the customer's responsibility to confirm loads and validate routes. It may be necessary to hire a professional surveyor to provide Traffic Engineering a certified letter that validates the loads and routes.
  • Permits are issued for a specific vehicle, identified by the vehicle identification and license plate numbers. Permits are not transferable to other vehicles.
  • The permit MUST be carried in the vehicle during transport.
  • The applicant shall provide proof that all vehicles are properly registered in accordance with the applicable laws of the State of Arizona and provide satisfactory evidence of financial responsibility for all vehicles used in the move.
  • Notify and obtain the written permission of the owners of all traffic signals traffic signs, overhead lines, or any other property subject to disturbance or damage by the moving operation. The applicant shall be responsible for the restoration of any public or private property disturbed or damaged by the moving operation.
  • Useful links:

Instructions for obtaining an oversize/overweight permit

  1. Submit online application
  2. Traffic Engineering may contact the applicant for more information.
  3. Upon approval, One Stop Shop will process the permit and contact the applicant when the permit is ready.

Disclaimer and Liability for Damage

Any person who operates or causes another to operate any vehicle upon any street under the jurisdiction of the City of Scottsdale shall be liable for all damage to any street, light, sign or other property of the city even if authorized by permit.

Temporary Power Deposit

Deposit Fees

The fee for temp power is calculated as follows:

  • for single family residential the deposit is the same as the cost of the permit or $2,500.00, whichever is GREATER.
  • for commercial project the deposit is the same as the cost of the permit or $2,500.00, whichever is GREATER.

When the project is completed, One Stop Shop will generate the paperwork for the Finance Department to issue your refund.

  • A $200.00 processing fee will be deducted from the deposit.
  • Deposits paid by check are refunded to whomever is reflected on the check (city policy) in about 30 days.
  • Deposits paid with a credit card are refunded as a credit back to whomever posted payment, usually within 30 days of the project being completed.
  • Fees are paid at the One Stop Shop

Permit Expiration

Right-of-Way Plan Expiration

An application for a permit for any proposed work shall be deemed to have been abandoned 180 days after the date of the last completed review for correction or approval, unless the application has been pursued in good faith or a permit has been issued. However, the Chief Development Officer may grant a onetime 180 day extension. The extension shall be requested in writing and justifiable cause demonstrated.

Right-of-Way Permit Extension

A one-time extension for a permit may be granted under certain circumstances. Contact Inspection Services 480-312-5750

Building Plan Expiration

An application for a permit for any proposed work shall be deemed to have been abandoned 180 days after the date of the last completed review for correction or approval, unless the application has been pursued in good faith or a permit has been issued.

Building, Electrical, Mechanical and Plumbing Permits

Once a permit is issued, there are 180 days to obtain the first inspection or the permit will expire. Each proceeding inspection must occur within 180 days of the latest inspection.

Building Permit Extension

The building official is authorized to grant one or more extensions of time for additional periods not exceeding 180 days each. The extension shall be requested in writing and justifiable cause demonstrated.

Expired Building Permits

Any person holding an expired permit may request the reactivation of the permit. Permit reactivation requests made up to 90 days after the permit expiration may be granted at no charge by the building official due to justifiable cause. Permit reactivation requests made 91 or more days from the permit expiration shall be charged as set forth in the city fee schedule.

Permit Revocation

The city may revoke a permit upon reasonable notice to the permit holder.

The Zoning Administrator or Building Official may revoke a permit or approval if any false statement or misrepresentation was made in the application or plans on which the permit or approval was based.

Last Updated: Jun 30, 2024

Was this page helpful?
Tell us how we can be more helpful.

Permit Services

7447 E. Indian School Road Scottsdale, AZ 85251
Back to Top