New Residential construction or new construction to an existing residence begins with understanding the development standards and codes applicable to a property and project.

Permitted Projects Process

Step 1: Collect Information

Codes and Ordinance Information

In preparation for your formal plan submittal you will need to identify the development standards and building information that apply to your project.

Refer to your title report and HOA for additional restrictions.

Codes & Ordinances

Residential Development Standards (Setbacks) Map

Many subdivisions have specific amended development standards that are different from those identified in the district regulations of the Zoning Ordinance. You can use this map tool to locate and view the development standards for your specific property.

Residential Setback Information Map

Property Information/Setback Request

Submitting a setback request will help identify the development standards and easements that apply to a property; these factors together create the building envelope or available developable area. Refer to your title report and HOA for additional restrictions. By entering an address, obtain specific property information (Subdivision, Lot Number, APN, QS, Zoning, FEMA Flood Zone, etc).

Request a Setback

Visit the One Stop Shop

Visiting the One Stop Shop gives you the opportunity to meet directly with a planner, building reviewer, or Development Services Representative. You can obtain answers to general questions regarding Zoning Codes, Building Codes, Fees and submittal requirements. We offer over the counter plan review for some projects, or you can submit plans for a traditional review.

One Stop Shop Information

Pre-Application meeting

Submit a pre-application request to meet with staff to thoroughly review construction requirements before formal plan submittal. This process is optional but very beneficial as it allows staff to identify potential issues with future projects, provide code regulations, and review property history.

Go to Pre-Application

Step 2: Plan Submittal and Plan Review

The purpose of plan review is to determine if the proposed construction conforms to the City of Scottsdale’s adopted codes and ordinances. The plans (construction documents) must be of sufficient clarity to demonstrate compliance.

Go to Plan Submittal/Review

Parcel Plat & Easement Submittals

Some projects may have parcel/easement creation, modification or deletion requirements, depending on scope of work proposed. Such requirements will be a sub-review process of, and separate to, the construction plan review process. No permits are eligible for issuance until these requirements have been successfully completed.

Go to Parcel Plat & Easement Submittals

Step 3: Permit Issuance

Once plans have been reviewed and determined to be in compliance with the City of Scottsdale’s code and ordinances permits may be issued. These permits grant authorization to do constructions work. It also allows for inspections to be performed.

Go to Permits

Step 4: Inspections

Construction or work for which a permit is required is subject to inspection in order to determine that construction is being done in accordance with the approved plans and in City of Scottsdale adopted codes and Ordinances. The work to be inspected must remain accessible and exposed for inspection purposes until approved. Requests for inspections must be made at least one day in advance.

Go to Inspections

Certificate of Occupancy

Upon passing a Final Inspection, a Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) is issued, allowing for the business to begin operation or a homeowner to move in.

Go to Certificate of Occupancy


Fire Sprinklers

Any residential improvement that exceeds 25% or more of the existing structure valuation as determined by the Fire Department Fire Sprinkler Valuation Worksheet, requires that fire sprinklers be installed throughout the entire residence.

Required Fire Flow Test

The city requires a "Fire Flow Test" on all projects which require waterline extensions and or Commercial Fire Protection Systems including multi-family (apartments, condos, etc.) developments. We also require different levels of "Basis of Design" reports on these types of projects. As far as "single family residences" are concerned, a pressure test is required as a function f the building and sprinkler system review.

A "certified" flow test is required for commercial sprinklers and extensions, which includes an encroachment permit. For single family, just a "certified" pressure test is required - no fire flow test unless an extension is included.

Water & Sewer Extensions/Connections

Not connected to city water and/or sewer? There are several cases where water & sewer extensions/connections may be required. For instance, for additions and renovations equal to or greater than 50% of the existing structures, water and/or sewer improvements may be required. Water/Sewer improvements must be constructed and accepted by the City PRIOR to plan approval for the remodel. Water/sewer extensions will require plans developed and signed by a registered engineer. Early consultation with an engineer will additionally assist in extension cost estimations which can have a significant impact on your budget if not appropriately accounted for from the beginning of project development.

R1-7 Zoning District


The R1-7 district is a very unique district. It allows for several different development options on properties. There are various encroachments allowed in the front and back yards for homeowners that do not exist in other single family residential zoning districts.

Graphic Examples

The examples below are allowed on legally conforming residences R1-7 zoning district with no amended development standards. The examples apply to most typical mid-block R1-7 parcels.

It is strongly recommended that any homeowner planning to make site modifications to their property should first have a boundary survey completed on their property. This will help identify where structures are located and if they conform to setbacks. Legally nonconforming residences would be limited by the Nonconforming Section of the Zoning Ordinance.

Historic Neighborhoods

There are four residential subdivisions that have the Historic Property zoning overlay district. These historic districts are the Town and Country Scottsdale, Village Grove 1-6, and Villa Monterey Units 1-7, and most lots in Sands North.

If you live in one of these historic districts, you will need to submit a Pre-Application request and obtain necessary approvals Historic Preservation staff (obtain a Certificate of No Effect or Certificate of Appropriateness) or possibly from the Historic Preservation Commission. Check out the Historic Preservation Program, the Historic Home Rehabilitation Program and suggested Guidelines Regarding Front Yard Walls and Fences.


When you move into a neighborhood with Codes, Covenants and Regulations (CC&R's) you agree to comply with the regulations as adopted. CC&R's represent a civil contract between the property owner and the property owner's association and are legally binding on the participants. Violation of CC&R's can be penalized and fined as set out in the legal section of the regulations. It is the responsibility of the property owner, not the city, to be aware of any CC&R's as part of any proposed building modification or new construction. CC&R's are civil in nature and as such are not enforced by the City of Scottsdale; as an example, even in an area with public streets the city of Scottsdale will not enforce the parking restrictions from the Codes and Covenants.

The city does not maintain or monitor CC&R's.

Building Templates/Packets/Guides

Was this page helpful?
Tell us how we can be more helpful.
One Stop Shop
(plan submittals, permits, fees)
(zoning, setbacks, public hearings)
Back to Top