How do I determine if I live in a floodplain?

Obtain a copy of an elevation certificate.

For specific questions about an elevation certificate: Call 480-312-2500.

For specific questions about floodplain management regulations in Scottsdale: Call 480-312-2500.

Who do I contact to report a drainage or flooding problem?

For emergency street flooding: call Scottsdale Police Department at 480-312-5000.

  • If a drainage facility is in need of maintenance: Public infrastructure - call Street Operations at 480-312-5620; Private infrastructure - call Stormwater Management at 480-312-2500.
  • If there is a drainage problem around your home, see the: "Homeowner's Guide to Drainage" (PDF)
  • To report over-watering/excessive irrigation, call Water Conservation at 480-312-5650 or Report Online.
  • If there is street ponding after rainfall: call Stormwater Management at 480-312-2500 or Street Operations at 480-312-5620.
  • For new home/private development ongoing construction: call Inspection Services at 480-312-5750.
  • For city construction projects: call Capital Project Management at 480-312-7250.
  • Stormwater and Floodplain Management Regulations: Call Stormwater Management at 480-312-2500.
  • Existing or planned drainage and flood control capital improvement projects: Call Stormwater Management at 480-312-2500, or call Capital Project Management at 480-312-7250.
  • For the Mosquito Hotline (24 hours): call Maricopa County Environmental Services at 602-506-6616.
  • For flooding within Maricopa County: call 602-506-1501.
Where can I get information about Flood Insurance Requirements?
  • Scottsdale participates in the National Flood Insurance Program, therefore, coverage is available to owners and renters of insurable property (buildings and/or their contents). For more information call Scottsdale's Stormwater Management staff at 480-312-2500.
  • Flood insurance may be purchased from any licensed property insurance agent or broker, i.e., most local insurance agents.
  • The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) is administered nationally by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). For more information on FEMA and the NFIP.

To ask questions about flooding or obtain a copy of any of the following publications, call Records at 480-312-2356 or fax your request to 480-312-7012:

Who is responsible for maintaining drainage facilities?
  • The maintenance of drainage facilities in Scottsdale is generally the responsibility of the individual homeowner or the homeowner's association, even if the facility is located within a drainage easement dedicated to the city.
  • The city and the Flood Control District of Maricopa County maintain certain selected facilities within the city limits, usually larger regional flood control facilities.
  • For information about a facility at a specific location contact: Street Operations at 480-312-5460 or Stormwater Management at 480-312-2500.
Is there an Elevation Certificate on File for my House?
  • If your house was built after 1990 the city should have an elevation certificate on file. If your house was built prior to 1989, a certificate probably does not exist unless you or a previous owner had one prepared. If your house was built in 1989 or 1990, there may be a certificate on file with the city. A property document search tool is available to locate elevation certificate on file with the city.
  • If there isn't a certificate on file, you will have to hire a registered land surveyor or a professional civil engineer to prepare one for you. If you are located in Flood Zone A or AO, the home owner can prepare their own, but you will need to perform a survey and certify that it is correct. For more information or a copy of a blank form, call Stormwater Management at 480-312-2500 or visit
How about the quality of our water?
  • Drinking water quality - Scottsdale Water Resources Department, call 480-312-5616
  • If you have a concern about stormwater quality, please call Water Quality 480-312-5650
  • Surface Water Quality Hotline - AZ Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ), call 602-207-4501
  • Complaints regarding rivers, lakes and streams - ADEQ, call 602-207-4506
  • Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 9, call 415-744-1305
What is a 100 Year Storm?
  • To understand how a 100-year storm event is calculated, you need to first understand the concept of a watershed. A watershed is an area in which water drains to one location or point of accumulation. On land, water that does not evaporate or soak into the soil usually drains into ditches, streams, washes or lakes. The land area from which the water drains is called a watershed. When you were a small child, you may have had a favorite mud puddle in which you liked to play. The part of the yard from which the water drained into the puddle was its watershed.
  • For a 100-year storm to occur, all portions of a watershed must receive 3.4 inches of rainfall within six hours.
  • In central Arizona, there are generally two times each year when heavy rainstorms occur. The summer monsoon seasons are typically stronger and can produce large amounts of rainfall in short periods of time. The summer thunderstorms are smaller storm systems but could produce 100-year storm events within watersheds of one to 10 square miles. The winter storms, on the other hand, are larger in area and longer in duration. If enough rainfall occurred, these winter storms could produce 100-year storm events within larger watersheds.
Was this page helpful?
Tell us how we can be more helpful.
Back to Top